Sunday 29 April 2012

Me Before You (JoJo Moyes)

I began this book with some trepidation - in the author's own words 'stories about quadriplegics are not easy' (http://www.jojomoyes.com/blog/).  I've told a few people about this book, and when I've tried to describe the plot without giving it all away I've received some incredulous looks related to questioning why I would be recommending it! But something about it caught me and said 'Read me!'

It is one of those books that's hard to put down and when you've finished you can't stop thinking about it. The end is heartbreaking and so, so final - one you know is going to happen but wish wouldn't - any other ending would have been trite and unbelievable.

This story stayed with me for days and strayed into my waking thoughts often. As I read it I 'forgot' Will was quadriplegic and badly damaged. I felt an infinity for Lou, even though in real life her disorganisation and refusal to take responsibility would have driven me crazy!

None of the characters in this book are 'nice' - they are however, very real with all the foibles of human nature and as such I loved them, disliked them, wanted to shake them and scream at them but in the end understood them and realised they could not have been portrayed in any other way.

Me Before You is a romantic read but it's not for romantics. JoJo Moyes is a masterful story teller and I'm tempted to read more of her books.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for recommending the book to me. I finished it within a week (I usually take a lot longer to finish a book). It's a beautiful story and I liked how you can't stop thinking about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice my blog is useful to others!

    ReplyDelete